Reliving the past, hyped for the future.

PortalHomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Gaming for Gaming's Sake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dash
Level Infinity Epic Super God... Plus!

PostGaming for Gaming's Sake

It seems like these day, you can't go onto any forum, chatbox, or news site devoted to gaming without seeing fanboy wars break out at some point. Even fanboys within certain companies; like Nintendo fans arguing over series. These fights may escalate to banning on some sights, cursing, and generally making a fool out of yourself. I'll admit that at least to some extent, I've participated in such events, and I know many that have too. I think, however, that while speculation (which is part of some fanboy wars) and debating is good, it is and has been since the beginning of creation a veil over what's really important: the games themselves. And sure, recommending and debating games is fine.

For the record, I'm not saying fanboys are the only problem. Developers may potentially be a part of the problem if their games are subpar BECAUSE minimal work was put into the game, and only money was thought of. Fanboys may also be a problem because of blind buying, also; i.e., buying a game because it has a certain title, developer, or is on a certain system only. It's just gone way to far.

My point is, though, why can't we just enjoy games anymore? I mean, that is why you play video games, correct? Because you enjoy them, right? So why can't we do that anymore? I don't know if this is what goes on in everyone's head while they play video games, but I'm always thinking of how great the game I'm playing is (unless it's a bad game, then it's the opposite, but it's probably bad for a reason). The most I do is usually explain why I like/dislike games, then explain why. Somehow, many other people try this, and it starts wars. I mean, occasionally I'll go overboard, because I'm a hypocrite, but even I have some to learn. I can't get why we can't just appreciate good games anymore. Why people can't be happy with what they've got.

Take Paper Mario: Sticker Star, for example. I thought it was a good game. Granted it wasn't the original or TTYD, but it was fun, and designed very well. Regardless, I've heard almost nothing but negativity for it because it didn't have a story, or people didn't like the strategy involved with the sticker mechanic, or the overworld was weird, or whatever else was wrong with it. Look, there's no such thing as a perfect game. If you want a game that's exactly the way you want it to be, then make it yourself (I'm being serious, that's why I'm going into video gaming). Going into gaming may be a problem in itself, but I'll address that topic at a later date. The fact of the matter is, there are a ton of games out there that you would enjoy or other people would enjoy, but too much is getting in the way of that. For some reason, gamers can't just play video games anymore. Maybe it's because we've become more connected in the past 25 years. I don't know. But I think that you, the reader of this, should just try to remember that perhaps winning an argument is not as important as you, yourself, enjoying a game. Forget about others who hate what you're playing. You can't change their opinions and you shouldn't let them change yours. Play because you want to play, because you like to play. Don't play to win.

Gaming for Gaming's Sake :: Comments

Re: Gaming for Gaming's Sake
Post on Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:56 pm by Dash
I really don't know where I was going with those first few paragraphs btw, most of this was off the top of my head.
Post on Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:27 pm by Professor Clayton
I try to play like this, but expressing opinions is almost a game in itself. Everyobody wants to win, but really there are no winners when it comes to opinions~
Great article Dash, reminded me to play more games, which is never a bad thing. lol! 
Post on Fri May 02, 2014 8:16 pm by KiwiPanda
This makes me think back to when people are really young... say, five or six years old. Every part of any video game was fun for me-- I remember some game where I could never beat the first level, but after about sixty hours of gameplay I finally beat it.

Nowadays I'm extremely hard to entertain. I hope that it doesn't get even worse later Razz
Post  by Sponsored content

Gaming for Gaming's Sake

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
8 Bit Forward :: Articles-
Jump to: