Reliving the past, hyped for the future.

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterCloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop) Review10Log in

Cloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dash
Level Infinity Epic Super God... Plus!
Dash

Cloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop) Empty
PostCloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop)

Define "Difficult"

From the moment it hit Kickstarter, people knew this game was going to be hard. After successfully passing the funding goal, Cloudberry Kingdom did take a little while to come out, and some of the graphics changed between then and release date, but the basic concept stayed exactly the same.

Bob, a retired hero, must set out to save the princess from an evil king. Does this story sound familiar to you? It should; Pwnee Studio grew up around and decided to base the story of Cloudberry Kingdom around older games' stories, and focus on gameplay a bit more than much else.

Cloudberry Kingdom set out to be the hardest game you own. It doesn't drop this difficulty on you, which is nice. Instead, Cloudberry Kingdom gradually boosts up the difficulty and introduces you to new concepts at a slow enough pace, most of these concepts being certain power-ups, if you will; something, such as a smaller Bob, or a bigger Bob, or Bob in a jet-propelled mine cart, that is with you for the entirety of one level. Story Mode is divided out into 7 Chapters, most Chapters containing 40 levels. For at least a huge section of the game, these levels are grouped out into sections of 10 levels that will have the same power-up.

Gameplay in Cloudberry Kingdom is fairly simple and straightforward. Move from left to right. Don't get hit by anything. Don't fall off the bottom of the screen. Chain your jumps off enemies to make sure you can make it all the way to the goal. Adapt to the power-up that is given to you to use.
...and, that's the majority of it. The controls are also fairly simple, and mostly involve jumping (by pressing A) and squatting, and of course moving left and right. Even the jetpack power-up is just a jump with a boost. There's also pressing L and R together to reset the level, but that's mostly as far as it goes besides controls. This is good because of the difficulty of the game; it's nice Pwnee kept things simple. However, there is literally no GamePad support in the entire game, except for the usual off-screen gameplay.

There are two other modes for Cloudberry Kingdom, one being Free Play and having randomly generated levels based off parameters you put in place beforehand (length of the level, difficulty, etc). This is a neat mode to play with friends or after you've beaten Story Mode. The only other mode in the game is called The Arcade, and it has levels to do but with certain twists, such as multiple power-ups at once and being timed, among others. All 3 modes of the game can be played by yourself or with friends.

Some of the little things in Cloudberry Kingdom are what make this game more fun than infuriating. Tiny things such as incredibly fast loading times, including when randomly generating a level, make all the difference. Other things include a menu for enabling "cheats" in case a level is too hard for you, these cheats including slowing down time, watching the computer complete the level, and having a dotted line point you where you should go. To maintain balanced gameplay, these cost diamonds, but you'll pick up plenty in the levels you complete. Unfortunately, these are the only three cheats, but I've found them incredibly useful in some impossibly hard levels, and the cheats won't do all the work for you: I still struggled with some of the harder levels, even with cheats enabled.

The music in Cloudberry Kingdom is nothing special, more like background music, and is randomly put on (as in, there will be a track, then it'll switch to a random track after the one is done playing). You have no control over what music is playing, which is too bad sometimes, but it's easy to tone out the music usually. As I said, it's not great music, but definitely good for filer music while playing a level.

Cloudberry Kingdom is an excruciatingly hard game whichever way you put it, but unlike some other games created just to be hard, Cloudberry Kingdom is much more fun and addicting. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll scream, you'll shout "YES!!!" when you get past a few of the levels. It'll eat up way too much of your time if you're really into it, saying to yourself "Ok. One more time. I can do it this time!" Cloudberry Kingdom is painfully hard sometimes, but it's worth it. I wouldn't recommend this game, however, to one who may not have much patience or doesn't like immensely hard games such as this one. It's a great experience overall, although perhaps not one you'll come back to a huge much after you beat it and try out multiplayer mode for a while with your friends.

Overall score: 7.75/10
Back to top Go down
http://www.backloggery.com/3dangerous3dash
Share this post on: reddit

Cloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop) :: Comments

Professor Clayton
Re: Cloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop)
Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:01 pm by Professor Clayton
Nice job with this one, I'm still on the fence though... I'll probably get it after a sale goes live~
Dash
Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:13 pm by Dash
There's one going on right now~
Knuckles
Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:06 pm by Knuckles
Good review Dash, I wasn't interested in the first place, but it is interesting to know it is better than I expected.
Post Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 pm by Nintendaholic
the game is fun at first. i bought it day one because of its challenge. but after its 3 songs and generally basic gameplay, it just got boring. not worth the money in the long run. nice job on the review though, i wasnt aware you guys were taking this so seriously. the username "dash" is much better than "3dash"
Dash
Post Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:40 am by Dash
"Dash' Is a placeholder. I'm changing it soon to have some other character in it, like "3Dash" or "KiDasharus".
Post  by Sponsored content

Cloudberry Kingdom (Wii U eShop)

Page 1 of 1